Learning Specialist Range 3 (Learning Specialist Range 3)
Bethal Primary School is situated in Meadow Heights in the northern suburbs of Melbourne. Our enrolment of approximately 280 students is made up of students from diverse multicultural backgrounds which we embrace and celebrate. Our caring and inclusive school community takes pride in offering a child centred education based on our core values of respect, collaboration and perseverance. These values are fundamental to our school programs and expectations.
A comprehensive curriculum is offered to all students from Foundation to Year 6. Emphasis is placed on developing and implementing a differentiated program for all students. We have established a culture of continuous improvement at the school where professional development and ongoing learning is important to the school community. Professional Learning Communities and collaboration are at the heart of everything we do as a school.
Some unique features of our school are; an on-site Kindergarten to enable a smooth transition into school, a Spanish language program taught from Foundation to Year 6 and an instrumental music program. Our other specialist programs include visual art, physical education and music.
Connecting with the community is central to the school’s philosophy and we have established an active Community Hub which offers many programs to engage families. We encourage parents to take an active role in their child’s education by developing a positive home/school partnership. An Arabic Multi-Cultural Aide, Teacher Aides and Integration Aides provide classroom support and vital links with the local community.
Our school Code of Conduct is based on rights, responsibilities and logical consequences. The school’s aim is for all students to take increasing responsibility for their learning and behaviour. The whole school approach to student behaviour management ensures a strong sense of orderliness, respect and safety in the classroom and playground.
The community can be proud of the school and the professionalism and dedication of all staff members in providing the best possible education for all students.
SC1 Demonstrated ability to successfully lead the implementation and evaluation of learning and teaching programs, inclusive of evidence based pedagogical approaches, curriculum implementation, and effective assessment and reporting, in accordance with the relevant (or equivalent) Victorian Curriculum F–10.
SC2 Demonstrated outstanding classroom teaching skills and capacity to model high impact classroom teaching strategies and lead colleagues to improve their teaching and learning to enable all students to achieve their full potential.
SC3 Demonstrated outstanding ability to monitor and assess student learning data at the individual, cohort and whole school level and to use this data to inform teaching for improved student learning.
SC4 Demonstrated outstanding written and verbal communication skills and high level interpersonal skills including the ability to establish and maintain collaborative relationships with parents, other employees and the broader school community focused on student learning, wellbeing and engagement.
SC5 Demonstrated capacity to reflect critically upon their own professional practice and apply the knowledge, skills and expertise derived from ongoing professional learning to enable the further development of others’ professional practice.
Learning Specialists will be highly skilled classroom practitioners who continue to spend the majority of their time in the classroom delivering high-quality teaching and learning and have a range of responsibilities related to their expertise, including teaching demonstration lessons, observing and providing feedback to other teachers and facilitating school-based professional learning. Learning Specialists are expected to have deep knowledge and expertise in high quality teaching and learning in delivering improved achievement, engagement and wellbeing for students. The role of the Learning Specialist will be to model excellence in teaching and learning through demonstration lessons and, mentoring and coaching teachers in improving the skill, knowledge and effectiveness of the teaching workforce.
The Learning Specialist role is aimed at building excellence in teaching and learning within the Teaching Service.
In recognition of the importance of exemplary practice for improved student learning outcomes, the key roles of the Learning Specialists may include but are not limited to:
- Demonstrating high-level expertise in teaching and learning practice
- Modelling exemplary classroom practice including through teaching demonstration lessons
- Working with the school leadership team to develop a shared view of highly effective teacher practice
- Leading and modelling the implementation of whole-school improvement strategies related to curriculum planning and delivery
- Playing a key role in the provision of professional learning, including through developing processes and protocols for observation and feedback of teacher practice and peer collaboration
- Modelling effective learning practice and supporting teachers to seek, analyse and act on feedback and on their practice
- Providing evidence-based feedback to teaching staff to inform their effectiveness and development
- Providing expert advice about the context, processes and strategies that will shape individual and school professional learning
- Supervising and training one or more student teachers and mentoring and/or coaching teachers
- Modelling exemplary use of student data to inform teaching approaches
- Developing and promoting school-wide professional learning structures, processes and protocols through Professional Learning Communities
- Modelling exemplary professional learning practice included through seeking feedback from other teachers and leaders on their own classroom practice as part of critical reflection and inquiry to improve practice
Teachers currently registered or eligible for registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching and qualified to teach and/or have demonstrated experience in the curriculum area(s) specified for the position.
The Department values diversity and is committed to workforce diversity and equal opportunity in schools and all education workplaces. The Department recognises that the provision of family friendly, supportive, safe and harassment free workplaces is essential to high performance and promotes flexible work, diversity and safety across all schools and Department workplaces.
Victorian government schools are child safe environments. Our schools actively promote the safety and wellbeing of all students, and all school staff are committed to protecting students from abuse or harm in the school environment, in accordance with their legal obligations including child safe standards. All schools have a Child Safety Code of Conduct consistent with the Department’s exemplar available at http://www.education.vic.gov.au/about/programs/health/protect/Pages/childsafestandards.aspx
The Department’s employees commit to upholding DET’s Values: Responsiveness, Integrity, Impartiality, Accountability, Respect, Leadership and Human Rights. DET’s Values complement each school’s own values and underpin the behaviours the community expects of Victorian public sector employees, including those who work in Victorian Government Schools. Information on the DET values is available at http://www.education.vic.gov.au/hrweb/workm/Pages/Public-Sector-Values.aspx
- All staff employed by the Department and schools have access to a broad range of employment conditions and working arrangements.
- Appointment of successful applicants will be made subject to a satisfactory pre-employment conditions check.
- A probationary period may apply during the first year of employment and induction and support programs provided.
- Detailed information on all terms and conditions of employment is available on the Department's Human Resources website at http://www.education.vic.gov.au/hrweb/Pages/default.aspx
Thursday 24th Oct 4.30pm & Tuesday 29th Oct 4.30pm.
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: