Classroom Teacher - Special Education (Classroom Teacher)
Yarrabah School is a Special Developmental School for children with moderate to severe disabilities. Yarrabah is located in the bayside suburb of Aspendale. Yarrabah School caters for students from 2.8 to 18 years of age. Yarrabah School believes all students can learn and experience success. A comprehensive and integrated curriculum is offered with the flexibility to meet the needs of each student.
Our school purpose is to maximise student potential by providing an individualised safe learning environment that promotes active learning, encourages adventure, independence and self-esteem.
Yarrabah School provides all students a specialised curriculum and therapeutic support that prepares them for life as valued members of the community.
Please address the Selection Criteria in no more than 4 pages.
KSC 1: Provide evidence of planning an engaging individualised and group based program for students with intellectual disabilities and high sensory needs.
KSC2: Ability to assess and report student progress. To provide reports to parents which keep them regularly informed of their children’s progress.
KSC3: Demonstrate high level of communication and interpersonal skills when relating to students, families, staff and school leadership.
KSC4: What strategies would you implement to ensure all your students remain engaged and safe when working alongside students with challenging and difficult behaviours.
* Abide by the teachers Professional Code of Conduct (VIT) (www.vit.vic.edu.au) and maintain VIT registration.
* Perform according to the professional duties and standards set out in the Performance and Development Guidelines and the Principles of Learning and Teaching (PoLT)
* Conducting initial SSGs to establish ILPs (Individual Education Plans) followed by written reports, SSGs as requested by parents, followed by a final report and meeting with parents in Term 4.
* Direct teaching to the ability level of individual students in the group and according to their ILPs.
* Plan, prepare and deliver appropriate programs according to student goals, abilities and curriculum focus
* Maintain a work program according to the requirements set out in the Staff Handbook
* As a team leader direct the classroom assistant to tasks and learning activities required. To keep the classroom assistant up to date with student needs and plans for daily activities.
* Provide adequate and appropriate resources for student learning via Professional Learning Community (PLC) or curriculum coordinators.
* Maintain a safe working environment
* Develop and implement Student Wellbeing plans for students who require them
* Participate in meetings e.g. staff meetings, PLC/planning meetings camps and excursions.
* Are responsible for the health and wellbeing of all students in their care at all times
* Fulfill extra roles and duties as nominated
* Maintain regular contact with parents/carers via daily communication books, phone calls or personal contact.
* Work with and consult with the therapy team to achieve maximum outcomes for students in the classroom
* Yard Duty
* Other duties as requested by Leadership team.
The role of classroom teacher may include but is not limited to:
- Direct teaching of groups of students and individual students;
- Contributing to the development, implementation and evaluation of a curriculum area or other curriculum program within the school;
- Undertaking other classroom teaching related and organisational duties as determined by the School Principal;
- Participating in activities such as parent/teacher meetings; staff meetings; camps and excursions;
- Undertaking other non-teaching supervisory duties.
Teachers who do not have an approved special education qualification but do have current provisional or full registration from the Victorian Institute of Teaching may apply. Preference will be given to applicants who have an approved special education qualification. Graduates may apply.
The Department values diversity and is committed to workforce diversity and equal opportunity in schools and all education workplaces. The Department recognises that the provision of family friendly, supportive, safe and harassment free workplaces is essential to high performance and promotes flexible work, diversity and safety across all schools and Department workplaces.
Victorian government schools are child safe environments. Our schools actively promote the safety and wellbeing of all students, and all school staff are committed to protecting students from abuse or harm in the school environment, in accordance with their legal obligations including child safe standards. All schools have a Child Safety Code of Conduct consistent with the Department’s exemplar available at http://www.education.vic.gov.au/about/programs/health/protect/Pages/childsafestandards.aspx
- All staff employed by the Department and schools have access to a broad range of employment conditions and working arrangements.
- Appointment of successful applicants will be made subject to a satisfactory pre-employment conditions check.
- A probationary period may apply during the first year of employment and induction and support programs provided.
- Detailed information on all terms and conditions of employment is available on the Department's Human Resources website at http://www.education.vic.gov.au/hrweb/Pages/default.aspx
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: